Are being played in East River Park this summer actually and on a real body of water instead of an empty pool. I don’t remember if I posted the dates before but it’s worth reminding everyone again. Enjoy.
The Schedule (thus far)
Sunday, July 12 — Mission of Burma, Fucked Up, Ponytail, Jemina Pearl of Be your Own Pet*
Sunday, July 19 — Dirty Projectors, Magnolia Electric Co., White Denim*
Sunday, July 26 — And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, The Black Lips, Health, Grupo Fantasmo*
Sunday, Aug 02 — Round Robin show w/ Deerhunter, No Age and Dan Deacon*
Sunday, Aug 09 — Simian Mobile Disco (DJ set), Fiery Furnaces, Dark Meat, The Netherlands*
Sunday, Aug 16 — Del tha Funky Homosapien, Gravytrain!!!, DD/MM/YYYY, Kenan Bell*
Sunday, Aug 23 — Girl Talk, Max Tundra, Wiz Khalifa*
Sunday, Aug 30 — Beach House & Grizzly Bear*
* A free Pool Party: For eight consecutive Sundays in Williamsburg, Brooklyn (July 12th – August 30th), party-goers will be regaled with on-site dodgeball, three-on-three basketball, and, oh yeah, rip-roarin’ live performances on the main stage.
Cafe Grumpy, the beloved coffee shop below my apartment is opening a new store today in Park Slope at 7th Ave between 11th and 12th streets. If you visit today you can get a free drink or something. Also they are running a nifty promotion where if you buy a bag of coffee or finish your drink punch card, you can enter to win a drawing for a free espresso machine.
So one of my most favoritest restaurants in my neighborhood is Papacitos. It’s an amazing Mexican joint with many veggie and vegan options, awesome fish tacos, and cute delivery boys. They also have an amazing outdoor patio and right now it’s byob because they somehow lost their liquor license. Anyways, recently Gothamist reported that they got their shit fucked up and robbed of $10k and their sound system (see below).
After Black Betty’s and several other restaurants/favorite bakeries going out recently, I am going to do whatever I can to support Papacitos and keep it from going under as well. I was there this afternoon for a quick brunch and it was a little sad without the classic rock they usually pump through the place but my breakfast burrito was A+. I strongly urge everyone to eat there because the food is excellent (the chef used to work at Brooklyn Label), the patio is beautiful, and i don’t want to see another one of my favorite restaurants go out of business this year. sad face (i hate emoticons).
i don’t know if this actually counts as a blog (it’s blog-like) but several people sent this to me (including exintern dan who posted it on his gchat status message first and therefore “wins”). beautiful little set of photos from cristopher niemann of tiny things made out of legos that remind him of nyc.
check more here
BROOKLYN 11211. this one reports on development and happenings in williamsburg, greenpoint, and bushwick. it’s kind of like newyorkshitty with fewer pictures and more neighborhood news and politics. i liked this picture of redhook and the reports on bk bikelanes.
I like this blog because it features dog shit and general happenings around my neighborhood and others in BK (but mostly Greenpoint). Here is the about page…
As you can probably deduce from the title of this blog, I live in Green Brownpoint, Brooklyn. During my one block trek to the Franklin Corner Store one April day (in 2006) to get a sandwich, I was astonished at the sheer quantity of dog shit I encountered.
Green Street is not the easiest sidewalk to negotiate: the sidewalks are uneven and pock-marked with holes. Dodging piles of dog shit every five feet does not make this task any easier, much less when carrying delicious Cuban sandwiches. It was during this adventure through Poopland that I had the following epiphany:
1. This is ridiculous.
2. I wonder if the people who see fit to use my block as a pissoir would like it if I took a shit in the middle of their living room? Probably not.
3. This is like walking through a fucking mine field, so maybe…
4. if Queen Noor (and Lady Diana before her) can lobby against the use of land mines, perhaps I can raise awareness about the plague of unattended dog shit in my neighborhood. Call me the Dog Shit Queen of Greenpoint New York Shitty. I’ve been called worse.
What you can expect this blog to feature:
1. Dog shit. When I see dog shit I will:
A. Take a picture of it
B. Make note of the date and the location of said bowel movement
2. Generate “Crap Maps” as I see fit. These maps will reflect the data I compile (as outlined in #1) and will (hopefully) provide an easy reference for anyone who wants to know where worst (s)hit areas are— and perhaps even where the worst offenders live. It is prudent to assume that if these dog owners are too lazy to clean up their own dog shit, they probably do not take much time walking their dogs in the first place.
3. If and/or when I find a particularly choice specimen (READ: a particularly LARGE, sculptural or just plain repulsive bowel movement), it will be showcased as “The Dung of the Day”.
I am accepting submissions from the public. Greenpoint, Park Slope (as if), Williamsburg, Bushwick, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Red Hook (especially Red Hook— I like Red Hook almost as much as I like Greenpoint!) or anywhere else in New York Shitty.
It’s much more than dogshit though, it’s funny signs, featured restaurants, neighborhood gossip, cat photos, etc.