Are being played in East River Park this summer actually and on a real body of water instead of an empty pool. I don’t remember if I posted the dates before but it’s worth reminding everyone again. Enjoy.
The Schedule (thus far)
Sunday, July 12 — Mission of Burma, Fucked Up, Ponytail, Jemina Pearl of Be your Own Pet*
Sunday, July 19 — Dirty Projectors, Magnolia Electric Co., White Denim*
Sunday, July 26 — And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, The Black Lips, Health, Grupo Fantasmo*
Sunday, Aug 02 — Round Robin show w/ Deerhunter, No Age and Dan Deacon*
Sunday, Aug 09 — Simian Mobile Disco (DJ set), Fiery Furnaces, Dark Meat, The Netherlands*
Sunday, Aug 16 — Del tha Funky Homosapien, Gravytrain!!!, DD/MM/YYYY, Kenan Bell*
Sunday, Aug 23 — Girl Talk, Max Tundra, Wiz Khalifa*
Sunday, Aug 30 — Beach House & Grizzly Bear*
* A free Pool Party: For eight consecutive Sundays in Williamsburg, Brooklyn (July 12th – August 30th), party-goers will be regaled with on-site dodgeball, three-on-three basketball, and, oh yeah, rip-roarin’ live performances on the main stage.
This is my FAVORITE restuarant in Brooklyn. I’ve had so many good times and so many memories there. I had my birthday party there 2 years ago and now I won’t be able to order their seared salmon salad or their spicey artichoke soup anymore. I am going to attempt to OD on everything before they close June 15th. sniffle.
From Brooklyn Vegan
“After 10 years, Williamsburg Live-Music Haven and Mediterranean Eatery Shuts Doors”
Black Betty (spreetaper)
“Bud Schmeling and Sandy Glover, owners of Black Betty, announced the long-time Williamsburg boite and eatery will close its doors, effectively Monday, June 15th 2009.”The sad news came a month after the owners posted a message to MySpace stating that they needed money, but that “Black Betty is not closed, nor closing. We have signed a new 10 year lease…” According to the new statement (which you can read in full below), the lease “was renewed for 10 years at the end of April 2009, however the lease was also offered to other perspective candidates under more lucrative terms…” Long story short, it is closing.
Lots of changes on that block. Black Betty is right across the street from the in-development Knitting Factory Brooklyn (ex-Luna Lounge) (which we still don’t have an official update on, though all signs and rumors point to the place re-opening some time this summer, possibly as a seated venue).
Say goodbye to Black Betty by having a drink and/or seeing a show there one more time (or for your first time). Options include The Phenomenal Handclap Band, who played Southpaw last night, and who are playing there tonight (May 13). Full schedule, including Antibalas, and full goodbye note, below…
- Bud Schmeling and Sandy Glover, owners of Black Betty, announced the long-time Williamsburg boite and eatery will close its doors, effectively Monday, June 15th 2009.
According to Schmeling and Glover, the Metropolitan Avenue in Brooklyn, NY lease was renewed for 10 years at the end of April 2009, however the lease was also offered to other perspective candidates under more lucrative terms. At the end of the battle, Schmeling and Glover conceded and agreed to close by mid June. “We are saddened and heart-broken that this is the end of the Black Betty era,” said Glover. “But at this time we’re focusing on what a fantastic place Betty means to Brooklyn bands, DJs and of course all of our amazing patrons and friends” she added.
“We’re working really hard to make the next couple of months loaded with great music and entertainment,” says Schmeling. “May 7th will mark a true celebration of 10 years dedicated to Williamsburg with a tribute to our House DJs and honestly, the outreach from the community has really been incredible.”
Local bands, DJs and performers are lining up to fill the remaining nightly slots, with Rev. Vince Anderson and His Love Choir scheduled to perform the last night, Monday June 15th. The kitchen and bar, offering North African and Mediterranean dishes and extended happy hours, will be in full swing until close. Demand for Black Betty t-shirts have been pouring in and will be available for sale at the 10th Anniversary Party on May 7th.
ABOUT BLACK BETTY/ Since its spring opening in 1999, Black Betty has gained a reputation as a “pioneer” and “Superman of Williamsburg nightlife.” Founders Bud Schmeling and Sandy Glover compiled their world travel experiences to transform the once gangster clad Highway Lounge into a hipster sanctuary and Moroccan delight, fondly referred to as “Trashablanca.” A true urban oasis, Black Betty beckons Williamsburg locals and tourists alike who crave an array of delectable Mid-Eastern eats, and an eclectic mix of live performers. Nightly live music and DJ spin masters serve up everything from Brazilian rock to soul funk, playing second only to the eclectic Mediterranean/ North African fare.
BLACK BETTY / 366 Metropolitan Avenue/ Williamsburg, Brooklyn/ 718.599.0243/ Train: L to Lorimer/ G to Metropolitan/
BROOKLYN 11211. this one reports on development and happenings in williamsburg, greenpoint, and bushwick. it’s kind of like newyorkshitty with fewer pictures and more neighborhood news and politics. i liked this picture of redhook and the reports on bk bikelanes.
these dudes are hilarious. i accidentally found this while procrastinating.
Get a few drinks in me, mention Williamsburg and biking on Bedford Ave and I will no doubt begin to ramble and yell about biking through the Hasid community in S. Wburg and how terrifying it is.
I’m all about moving the bike lane off of Bedford. Here are the problems I see…
1. People treat Bedford like a highway- people go waaay to fast and make quick left hand turns across the bike lane, even using the bike lane as a turn lane sometimes
2. “Hasids are forbidden from looking at members of the opposite sex who aren’t fully dressed, said local activist Isaac Abraham” – HUGE ISSUE- because men can’t look at me when i bike in my shorts, they aren’t looking at me when they cross the street and often jump out in the bikeline, mid-block where i’m not expecting pedestrians to be (vs. say, a crosswalk where one is supposed to be crossing the street)- very dangerous
3. “The issue of dress – or lack of it – wasn’t brought up at the meeting. Weisser and the other Hasids instead complained publicly about bike lanes allegedly causing parking problems and traffic congestion”- yes, this is another big issue- for some reason everyone double parks along Bedford, thus blocking the bike lane. On average, I would say on average when I bike along Bedford between Clinton Hill and Wburg (possibly a mile and a half) I have to dodge 3 double parked mini-vans and loading trucks. Specifically, there is some event hall near Bedford and Flushing where people are always double parked and waiting for the valet or dropping people off, but I think that generally this is a problem all over Bedford. rar.
END RANT (there’s more but I have a paper to write for school. Buy me a beer and I’ll rant some more… on many topics…)
Guess what hipsters? The Brits are on to you!!! Topshop tells you how to dress for Williamsburg:
Stupid Topshop, hipsters are more unique than that.. oh wait, it’s time to not wash my hair and hike up my high-wasted pants and wear my damn sunglasses on the L train, even though it is underground. If this post offends you, then you consider yourself a hipster, which a true hipster would never do. Eh? So there! I think I’m in the clear.
Block party and Wet Hot American Summer with intro by Michael Showalter and music! I think I’m going to try and make it to this- anyone else down?
Read this article from the New York Times. It is kind of hilarious- mostly because I could totally imagine this happening to one of our friends…or me.
Too bad I didn’t know about this last night (Junior, I’m looking at you). This place apparently has free PBR on Tuesdays and $1 well drinks from 10-11pm. Also free hot dog with every drink everyday and cheapo pitchers. woa. Check their menu here and their myspace here.
It’s in that eastern part of Williamsburg (not actually Bushwick- for serious). I haven’t been yet but im totes interested. Who’s down? Did I mention they have ms.pac man?